Theta Chi Society, as it was then known, was founded at Norwich University, Norwich, Vermont, at nine o'clock on Thursday evening, April 10, 1856.
At that time Frederick Norton Freeman '57, and Arthur Chase '56, met in Freeman's room in the Old South Barracks of the University and, to quote from the minutes of the first meeting, "being called to order by Mr. Chase, Messrs. Chase and Freeman mutually took the oaths prescribed and declared each other true and accepted members of the Theta Chi Society." From this humble beginning Theta Chi Fraternity has grown to its present status.
To quote again from the minutes of the first meeting we learn that, "The Theta Chi Society was the idea and plan of Frederick Norton Freeman, and with the assistance of Arthur Chase, his plans were perfected and the society was organized.” Chase was elected president and Freeman was elected secretary. The next evening, April 11, the first initiation was conducted. One of the initiates was Edward Bancroft Williston of San Diego, California, and the other was Lorenzo Potter of Elkhorn, Wisconsin.
Theta Chi was the first Greek Letter society to make its appearance at Norwich. It was preceded in 1853 by a secret society known as the "Regulators." Whether there was any connection between the Regulators and Theta Chi is open to conjecture. It is known that Freeman was a Regulator and that when the Regulators passed out of existence in 1856 practically all of the paraphernalia of this organization passed into the possession of Theta Chi Society. The fundamentals of the organization, as expressed in the original constitution, to this day remain unchanged. Our present ritual includes the original ritual used in 1856. The oaths taken by Freeman and Chase on that April evening long ago have since been shared by every man initiated into Theta Chi.
At the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Convention held at Northfield, Vermont, in 1931, the Fraternity placed suitably marked granite memorials at the grave of Freeman near Plainfield, New Hampshire, and the grave of Chase in Claremont, New Hampshire.
The early history of Theta Chi Fraternity is closely connected with the history of Norwich University. The University was founded at Norwich, Vermont, in 1819 being then known as The American Literary, Scientific, and Military Academy. It was a pioneer engineering college of the country and has always maintained its military training and traditions. In 1834 the name was changed to Norwich University. In the Spring of 1866 the Norwich University buildings burned. Old South Barracks, where Theta Chi was founded, was completely destroyed. It is reasonable to believe that some of the early records and relics of the Fraternity were lost at this time. The University moved after the fire to Northfield, Vermont, its present location. At the Seventy-Fifth Anniversary Convention the Fraternity erected a granite monument with a bronze plaque at Norwich, Vermont, to commemorate the founding of the Fraternity.
In the first decade of the Fraternity's existence a number of serious handicaps were experienced. The Civil War greatly depleted the student body of the University, for Norwich was a military school. After the fire in 1866 there was doubt for a while as to whether or not the University would continue. The war, the fire, and the uncertainty regarding the continuation of the University seriously lowered the attendance, and the school opened in the Fall of 1866 with only nineteen students. In spite of the low enrollment, which continued for some years, Dodge and Ellis say that “The Theta Chi and Alpha Sigma Pi fraternities flourished in this period, 1866 to 1880”, tell us in “The History of Norwich University”. Just what the word "flourished" meant is not known, but it is supposed that even with a small university enrollment, Theta Chi was able to get its share of new members.
In 1881 the student body of Norwich was reduced to a dozen men, and Theta Chi found itself with one active member. This critical situation was relieved when local alumni worked with the undergraduate member, James M. Holland, '83, in pledging and initiating Phil S. Randall, '86, and Henry B. Hersey, '85, thus preserving the existence of the Fraternity.
After 1888 the affairs of the University took a decided turn for the better, and from then on there was never a question of Theta Chi leadership on the Norwich campus. From its very inception Theta Chi was planned as a national fraternity. Why it existed as a single chapter for nearly fifty years will probably never be definitely known. Expansion was no doubt delayed by two conditions, the unstable conditions of the University at first, and anti-expansion sentiment, which developed later within the chapter.
In 1888 Theta Chi Fraternity was incorporated under the laws of Vermont. From 1888 until the establishment of the Beta Chapter, fourteen years later, the history of the Fraternity is a history of steady growth of a chapter both in general strength and in members. Norwich University disbanded its fraternities in 1960, so Alpha Chapter no longer exists.
With the establishment of Beta Chapter at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology at Boston Massachusetts, on December 13, 1902, a new era opened for Theta Chi, an era of country-wide expansion and national organization and administration. Although hindered by a serious depression and two world wars, Theta Chi has grown, and prospered beyond the dreams of the Founders to the position it now holds in the national fraternity scene.
Of the 64 North American Interfraternity Conference men's fraternities, Theta Chi is the 21st in chronological order of founding.
Motto: "Assisting Hand" or "Extend the Helping Hand"
Maxim: "Alma Mater First, and Theta Chi for Alma Mater"
Colors: Military Red and White
Installed Chapters: 214 chapters installed since 1856
Active Chapters: 131 current active chapters
Colonies and Interest Groups: 11
In 1934 the American Commons Club came to Adrian College and the ACC was a fraternity without Greek affiliation. In 1963 the ACC had two national clubs one in Adrian and the other in Ohio and finally the organization decided to turn Greek. They chose Theta Chi because of simailar values and beliefs. In 1954 315 S Madison (our house) was purchased for $30,000 by Ray Herrick, John Dawson, and Ed Pellowe. When the house was purchased it was name Ruth E. Cargo. October 24, 1964 the Zeta Beta Chapter of Theta Chi Fraternity was started at Adrian College, Howard Alter Jr (12 year national president) installed our chapter and the first chapter president was Stanely Leggins. Over the years Zeta Beta has had two house mothers ( Margorie Roth & Pearl M. Jones) and one house father Eric ( "Big E" ) Sullivan from 1972-1998. Outside are house we have flag pole that stands in memory of brothers that have gone before us and entered the chapter eternal the three names on the flag pole are: Bryan Steinhebal, Mark Gould, and Michael Kelly Thompson.
Zeta Beta has received the Alter Award in 1999- 2000 and 2002-2003 school years. The Howard R. Alter, Jr. Award for Chapter Excellence is the highest award for chapters in Theta Chi Fraternity. Zeta Beta Chapter has recevied numerous other chapter excellence awards over the years as well.
The award is given to those chapters which demonstrate excellence in overall operations. A committee reviews applications submitted by chapters for this honor. Chapters receiving this honor receive a certificate and the name of the chapter is engraved on a plaque in the International Headquarters.